USB hard drives and Volume Groups on FC9

john f jarvis johnfjarvis at knology.net
Mon Jul 7 11:55:39 UTC 2008

I installed FC9 onto a new, unformatted 160 GByte drive.
I used lvm on the FC8 Rescue CD to change the name of VolGroup00 to
VolGroup01 and edited /boot/grub/menu.lst to refer to the VolGroup01.
I rebooted the rescue CD but the renamed volume group wasn't
mounted due to an unspecified error. /boot was mounted.
I put the drive with VolGroup01 in the USB housing. My regular
FC9 system wouldn't recognize and mount it. There were a number of
new entries made: /dev/sg7? .
I would appreciate advice on how to get the system to mount
the renamed volume group hard drive via USB.
        Thanks in advance, John Jarvis