.mech

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 14:14:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 08:49:37 -0500, Fedora User wrote:

> There has been a lot of traffic on a machine lately.
> Someone noticed a .mech/.stealth directory in /var/tmp/...
> which looks kind of like a virus.  It does suspicious
> things.  There is a file called cyc.pid which contains
> a process id.  When I did a ps on the ID I found only
> "ps" was running.  However, in that same directory I noticed
> an executable called "ps".  The ps on ps showed it had been
> running for the last 4 or 5 days, and a regular linux ps runs
> no more than a few seconds.  There is also an executable there
> called "pico" and several server files all pointing to undernet.org.
>
> Has anyone else run into this?  Is it a virus?  Is like an
> IRC bot.  What can be done?

You've got an intruder. Take the machine off the network. Create a backup
for further analyzation. Don't trust the output of installed binaries
like ps. Examine the installation from within a rescue mode.
Also see what "chkrootkit" and "rkhunter" find.
Reinstall unless you really really *really* think you can repair it.

Btw, what version of Fedora is this? And what kind of service is it?