Closed source modules will be banned from kernel?

Andrew Kelly akelly at corisweb.org
Tue Jul 8 08:05:52 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 08:35 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 07 July 2008 20:37:33 Tom Horsley wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 19:51:51 +0100
> >
> > Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> > > Binary modules usually last only a few releases before changes in the
> > > kernel break them by accident anyway so I would assume that if a binary
> > > driver vendor goes under the clock is ticking.
> >
> > I wouldn't say "by accident" - It has been my experience that
> > most of the time, the breakage is not only highly deliberate, but
> > triggered mostly by the high incidence of extreme OCD which kernel
> > developers seem to suffer from, causing them to make fantastic
> > wholesale changes to driver interfaces for utterly trivial
> > cosmetic reasons which add no stability or functionality, but
> > merely relieve their obsessive need to correct some "flaw" which
> > no one else can perceive :-).
>
> Why is it considered OK to insult people on a mailing list, when you wouldn't
> to their face?
>
> Anne

It's not actually considered OK, Anne, it's just human nature at work
and continuing evidence of the decline of society. People often lose
their decorum when there is no immediate need to display it, which is a
direct result of people adopting specific behavior NOT because it is
correct or acceptable, but because they are wary or in fear of the
consequences if they do not. And THAT mindset is the direct result of
society's choice to attempt to legislate morality rather than live it or
breath it, or teach it by example.

[panpan panpan panpan]
Big soap box there, gotta get off quick before I type my fingers
bloody..

I don't know you, Anne, but I like you already.

Andy