F8 and a GPS -

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 8 10:30:51 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 08 July 2008 11:08:18 g wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > A simple Garmin eTrex H, but I know the same program is used for very
> > many gps systems, not only Garmin ones.
>
> thanks. will add it to my list to try.

The eTrex has a serial output, which of course my laptop didn't have, so I
bought a serial to usb cable - if anyone needs to know which one works I'll
check it out.  The gps can be set to output from a list of formats.  If
garmin is an option, use that as it seems to be best-known and reliable.
IIRC the command I used was

gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f /dev/ttyUSB0  -o gpx -F track1.gpx

HTH

Anne