[F9] laptop not booting - reinstall MBR?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 10 01:56:51 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 15:41 -0400, Don Levey wrote:
> But there is no separate /boot partition.  The /boot directory lives
> in /.  I used to make a separate /boot partition, but was told a while
> back (perhaps 2 years or so) that this was no longer necessary.

That *may* be your problem.  e.g. Up until now, all the files in
the /boot directory that GRUB needed to read at start up were in
locations that the BIOS could reach.  But over time, as files get
written, modified, etc. (new kernels installed, grub.conf rewritten),
the data has moved into areas that it can't.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.9-76.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.