F9: Man pages missing/broken?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 15:21:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:16:21 -0700, Dan Thurman wrote:

> > What do you get for "strace man -k grub" and "strace man man"?

> It appears that the alliance package has messed up the man pages?

That cannot be concluded, since you only showed the strace for the command
that works for you. The alliance pkg altered the linker's search path,
unrelated to your problem.

> Clearly there
> is an alliance directory with it's man pages but perhaps they are using
> a directory
> path with a missing /man sibdirectory?  I will look into this further to
> see where
> or why the /usr/lib/alliance directory is defined in the man search path.

Examine your environment variables after logging in. grep for "MAN"
as it could be that $MANPATH or $MANSECT or others are different than
what is found in /etc/man.config -- that would override man.config
with non-working values.

"man -k" is same as "apropos" and fetches info from the whatis db,
a path that is built-in and different from $MANPATH.