xorg.conf font setting kills gnome

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jul 10 23:23:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 13:34 -0400, Jack Howarth wrote:
> It appears the the xorg.conf on this machine contained the lines...
>
> Section "Files"
>
> # RgbPath is the location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
> # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
> # no need to change the default.
> # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
> # By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
> # the X server to render fonts.
>
>         FontPath     "unix/:7100"
> EndSection
>
> and removing this solved the issue. Shouldn't gnome be more tolerant to
> this issue like KDE?

Mine doesn't have that.  Did you do a fresh install or an upgrade over
the top of the prior install?  Mine was fresh.  Upgrades mayn't always
work well with some of the leftovers from the prior install, if there's
been enough changes to how the software works.

For what it's worth, mine doesn't have an xorg.conf file anymore.  Post
installation, I moved mine out of the way to see if my system would work
without it, and it does.  The system automatically handles itself,
without pre-configuration, at bootup.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, all using Gnome
 in case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.