2,203,458 Radeon Driver Errors

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Jul 11 16:31:34 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:36:53 -0400,
  "Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 22:51:10 -0400,
>>   "Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
>>> GoogleEarth and fglrx have been known in the past to have not played
>>> well with each other, and GE is a pain to use without the 3D support
>>> if  you use the radeon driver.  I have no experience with the
>>> radeonhd  driver yet (it also does not play well if you even have
>>> fglrx  installed!).  In the past the combination of GE and fglrx has
>>> been known  to freeze X on the second invocation of GE.  a Hard
>>> freeze, requiring a  reboot since all keyboard is lost.  YMMV  More
>>> recently, its been better  but still not without problems.
>>
>> The normal ati driver and mesa have been improving. I seem to be getting
>> good 3D acceleration on my R530 based card (at least for glxgears) as of about
>> 2 weeks ago. My understanding is that the ati driver (xorg-x11-drv-ati)
>> is the way forward, not radeonhd.
>
> Maybe, but my experience is that its not there yet.  fglrx doesn't work
> on F9 (no support for Xorg 1.4.99), and before that, when Red Hat jumped
> to the 2.6.25 kernel, there was no immediate support for that.  I had to
> find a driver in a testing repo to fix that problem.

Maybe I am confused, but I thought fglrx is ATI's propietary driver.
That wasn't what I was recommending. You should just get the radeon
driver (from the xorg-x11-drv-ati package) by default. If you had previously
installed ATI's propietary stuff, you'll probably need to some work to
get rid of it.

I am getting 3200 fps from glxgears with my firegl 3400 card (R530 based)
using the driver I get by default. It was more like 500-600 fps when I
first put F9 on the box, but a recent mesa update resulted in a big speed up.