how come Sys -> Adm -> Display can't see the full resolution?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 14 09:27:26 UTC 2008

On Monday 14 July 2008 05:48:37 Dave Burns wrote:
> Turns out it was due to the nvidia
> card on the laptop I was tweaking. Fedora ships with a barely usable
> nvidia driver, it somehow conflicts with the display panel. If you go
> to nvidia's web site you can download some evil proprietary code that
> works, but requires that you use something other than the usual
> display panel to do resolution changes.

Just a caveat.  It seems that there is a problem with the proprietary NVidia
driver and KDE4, affected some specific cards.  It results in a great
slowdown.  There is a known workaround, but that improves the situation for
some cards and makes it worse for others.

AIUI, it is a bug in the NVidia driver, which supposedly supports some calls
(?), but since few applications to date have used those routines they are not
very well tested.  NVidia are aware of it, but no date has been proposed for
a fix.

(This is a non-tech user giving a simplified explanation :-) )

Anne