Lava Octopus 550 kernel crash

Seann Clark nombrandue at tsukinokage.net
Tue Jul 15 14:07:39 UTC 2008

Tod Merley wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 8:48 PM, Seann Clark <nombrandue at tsukinokage.net> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> This is my first post to the list, but the short of the story is, I got a
>> lava octopus 550 (since it does work in linux) and I have been having
>> problems with it, namely it only shows 4/10 total serial ports (two
>> onboard Intel, 8 on the PCI based Octopus 550) and even after working
>> across a few of the sites (Lava's how to, a few different setserial sites,
>> and so forth) and I don't know who to run this past, since it looks like a
>> problem, either on my side or not. I am including as much information as I
>> can think of for this.
>>
>> O/S Fedora 9 x86_64
>> dual Intel quad core  E5430
>>

> Hi Seann Clark,
>
> Serial ports have an interesting way of taking up a lot of time.  Oh well.
>
> I would need to look into this much further, I hope someone with
> current experiance can chime in.
>
> Have you recompiled the kernel to allow it to see your additional
> ports (see link)? :

This is a vanilla Fedora 9 kernel, I haven't done hacking on that
portion yet, since it came up perfectly without mod on the
driver/hardware portion of this.
> http://www.support.lavalink.com/index.php?id=471
>
> I am suspicious that you have since I see this from your lspci:
>
> 0e:01.0 Serial controller: Lava Computer mfg Inc Lava Octo A (rev 03)
> (prog-if 02 [16550])
>        Subsystem: Lava Computer mfg Inc Lava Octo A
>        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 16
>        I/O ports at 4418 [size=8]
>        I/O ports at 4410 [size=8]
>        I/O ports at 4408 [size=8]
>        I/O ports at 4400 [size=8]
>        Kernel driver in use: serial
>
> 0e:01.1 Serial controller: Lava Computer mfg Inc Lava Octo B (rev 03)
> (prog-if 02 [16550])
>        Subsystem: Lava Computer mfg Inc Lava Octo B
>        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 16
>        I/O ports at 4438 [size=8]
>        I/O ports at 4430 [size=8]
>        I/O ports at 4428 [size=8]
>        I/O ports at 4420 [size=8]
>        Kernel driver in use: serial
>

> And I assume you have placed the small script in your
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local as suggested in the above article.

I was looking over that and did do the script as it suggested, and I
didn't see anything but the four original ports listed on first boot.
The problem is, three of the four are showing the Lava, with the same
port ID's, and one is my onboard. At the least it should be my onboard
having two ports, and the Lava having the other 2 (up to 8 when I get
that working right)
> If I were you I would look into how to move the interrupt used and
> perhaps spread them out a bit (use differant interrupts for each of
> the two ports).
>
> Good Hunting!
>
> Tod

I would have to do a bit of hunting on the IRQ side to get that sorted,
including on my hardware so I will see what I can get. Thanks for the
suggestions so far~

Seann