Newbie Warnng! : Fedora Core Offline Updates

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Wed Jul 16 14:49:09 UTC 2008

Robert Bernabe wrote:
> Hi all,
>   Many thanks in advance.  We are investigating Fedora Core right now
> and one of the concerns is that the FC system will not be connected (or
> allowed to connect to the internet). All updates will have to be done
> offline. Is there a central place to check for updates to download for
> offline installation? Is there a compiled tar file for this anywhere?
> We are trying to google right now and just thought to ask...if the
> answer here is RTFM then I'm sorry.

I haven't used rsync and perhaps it does this
automatically, but you can also use wget with a list of
packages that you have installed, set to only update
files that have changed.  Point it to a specific mirror
that you know is fast and run it every night.  You
could then burn the resulting changes to a DVD and use
sneaker net to put it into the yum cache on the machine
you are running in isolated mode.  Then you would just
run yum update as normal and the updates would occur.

I don't think that the Fedora inrastructure is really
set up for this sort of no internet updating.  The
changes are pushed out to the mirrors over the
internet, and the individual installations look over
the internet to pull the updates they want.

So no matter what workaround you use, it is going to
require internet access for some machine.

You could just set up two identical machines, one on
the internet, one off.  Set up yum to cache the
packages on the machine connected to the internet.  Use
the cache to burn a DVD.  The packages are all signed
with a redhat key that would be verified on the offline
machine, so you could be sure of getting unadulterated
packages.  The online machine would just be a dummy for
getting the packages.  Turn off all services and set up
the firewall to be very restrictive.  No local data,
just the bare installation with all the packages of the
offline machine.  To be even more paranoid, only boot
and check for updates, then shut it down, so you are
only on the net for the duration of the package
downloads and update.