sendmail not sending

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Thu Jul 17 20:35:06 UTC 2008

Aldo Foot wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 12:25 PM, John Cornelius <jc at hangarpilot.net> wrote:
>> Robert Holtzman wrote:
>>> Sendmail/alpine not sending mail on newly installed FC9. Incoming messages
>>> arrive O.K. The correct SMTP server is in the ~/.pinerc file. The maillog
>>> entries are *way* too cryptic for me to decipher.
>>>
>>> Any pointers short of trying to wade thru the *choke* sendmail
>>> configuration file?
> ..snip...
>> I don't recommend editing sendmail.cf or any other sendmail files manually.
>> It's a can of worms and it's easy to break sendmail that way.
>
> That's why you make a backup copy of the file, then work on it. ;-)

Actually, if you delete the .m4 files in /usr/share/sendmail-cf or
delete /etc/mail/Makefile, sendmail.cf can't be buggered.  The startup
script for sendmail does a "make" using /etc/mail/Makefile (which in
turn uses the .m4 files from /usr/share/sendmail-cf).

However, if you're going to use sendmail instead of one of the many
replacements, you really should learn how m4 works and bugger the .m4
files.  I'd also recommend you buy the "bat" book from O'Reilly
("Sendmail, Fourth Edition" by Bryan Costales, Claus Assmann, George
Jansen, Gregory Shapiro).  Probably the definitive book on how sendmail
works and how to "futz" with it.  "Don't sendmail without it!"

	http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510299/

- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-     There are only 10 kinds of people in the world -- those who    -
-                 understand binary and those who don't              -