How is one supposed to use the KDE4 desktop ?

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Fri Jul 18 17:07:44 UTC 2008

> 2008/7/18 linuxguy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com>:
>> I upgraded to F9 when it first came out.  Everything works, but my
>> desktop is a mess.  But surely I am missing something, after all, why
>> are the KDE developers so proud of their work ?
>>
>> So... how is one supposed to use the KDE4 desktop ?  Right now I have
>> about 100 icons for folders and files randomly dispersed on the desktop.
>> How do I clean them up and get my desktop organized again ?
>>
>> I hate that I can't drag and drop files into folders on the desktop.  Is
>> there a way to do this without using Dolphin ?
>>
>> I hate the "collars" that appear around the file and folder icons.   Can
>> they be turned off ?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> I use KDE 4 daily on both of my computers, as the primary desktop
> environment. I don't like the new desktop icons either, but I just
> turned them off. The ability to manage files on the desktop background
> is far from necessary, imo. In addition, there is greatly improved
> support for desktop icons coming in KDE 4.1, so this is just a
> temporary solution until the better one is ready.

Currently, I'm only running F9/KDE4 on one system (desktop...not upgrading
my laptop until I have a chance to try out KDE4.1 on my desktop).

I don't put much on my desktop...I use the "Favorites" section of the
menu.  I've never been a big fan of cluttering my desktop, anyhow...too
difficult to remember what's there, and where it is.

My one concern, now that I've been using it a while, is the limited
functionality of the Plasma widget tool in the upper left corner.

I've read a number of write-ups on KDE4, and note that there a couple of
things not set up to run from that widget...right now, it only allows you
to add/remove widgets from various places.  My understanding is that you
should be able to work with a number of settings, from the "Cashew", than
we seem to be able to do, now.

Another thing I miss, going from KDE3 to KDE4, is that KDE3 would save the
state of my desktop, so that any apps/konsoles I had up when I logged out
would be brought back up when I logged back in.

I'm having some trouble locating a setting for that, right now.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS