Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jul 18 22:43:33 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

> What was actually sold is under dispute. SCO claims it owns the
> copyright and associated licensing.  Novell claims it was just a
> licensing/resale arrangement - and this is still in appeals courts. The
> first decision went to Novell, but that's been thrown out.  I'm not sure
> if anyone has gotten around to wondering how this affects OpenSolaris
> parts of which Sun licensed from SCO and believes they have the right to
> release.

It has not reached the appeals court. The final decision in the case
was only a couple of days ago, and neither Novell or SCO has filed
an appeal. Also, the decision that Novel kept the copyright has not
be thrown out. It ruled that the APA did not transfer the
copyrights. Besides that, there specific forms that need to be
filled out to transfer a copyright. (As opposed to licensing one.)

The court ruled that Novell has the option of voiding the Sun deal,
and that would set Sun up for copyright and contract violations.

Basically, SCO lost all its claims, and Novell won most of their
counterclaims. But SCO didn't end up owing Novell as much as most
people expected. Then again, I think Novell can also file for legal
fees, because they were the prevailing party. Those will be higher
then what Novell was awarded by the court.

Mikkel