How is one supposed to use the KDE4 desktop ?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 12:58:26 UTC 2008

> Anne Wilson <cannewilson <at> googlemail.com> writes:
> > Ah - we're bordering on the metaphysical, are we?   Where does the panel
> > actually live?  Can't answer that, sorry
>
> Most systray applets are autostarted from .desktop files in some autostart
> folder, normally /etc/xdg/autostart, but there's also the
> KDE-specific /usr/share/autostart and a per-user Autostart folder in ~/.kde.

OK, since I'm interested in the strange icon shown by Kmix in the panel,
I did a search:

# locate .desktop|grep -i kmix
/usr/share/applications/kde4/kmix.desktop
/usr/share/autostart/kmix_autostart.desktop
/usr/share/autostart/restore_kmix_volumes.desktop
/usr/share/kde4/services/kmixctrl_restore.desktop

and then looked for icon references:

# grep -i icon /usr/share/applications/kde4/kmix.desktop /usr/share/autostart/kmix_autostart.desktop /usr/share/autostart/restore_kmix_volumes.desktop /usr/share/kde4/services/kmixctrl_restore.desktop
/usr/share/applications/kde4/kmix.desktop:Icon=kmix
/usr/share/autostart/kmix_autostart.desktop:Icon=kmix

Now since the icon being displayed is *not* the Kmix icon (by which I
mean the one shown in the corner when you open the Kmix Properties
dialogue), the plot thickens ...

poc