that old GNU/Linux argument

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Jul 19 18:41:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:46:32 -0500,
  Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sendmail does go back even further, perhaps to the days when there were
> dozens of computers on the internet - but without something more
> interesting along with the ability to reuse the code it might have
> stayed that way.

One of the reasons sendmail was so complicated is because in those days there
wasn't a single dominent 'internet'. Sendmail could handle email being sent to
multiple different networks such as arpanet and uunet. (Bitnet was important
than as well, but I am not sure if the gateways to bitnet used sendmail.)