Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 20 03:56:37 UTC 2008

> > > That makes no difference to US patent law.
> >
> > # fsck US Patent law
> > fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
>
> That's got to be the dumbest thing I've heard you
> say yet.  It is the
> height of "head in the sand" syndrome.
It is because of patents that many users out there do not have things easier :)
The big guys get lots of break, while many little guys get sued.
If many patents died soon the world would be a better place for all of us.

> To just blithely say "screw the law of the land where
> the company which
> arguably does more for Free/Open Source Software is
> based" is just,
> well, childish.
I wish I had more faith in the US court system, but it sells itself to the people with money and if you are poor, you end up paying for it.
I have not had good experiences with the Courts system :(
The lies are the ones that are accepted as facts and they say that you are innocent till proven guilty, but it is the other way around
you are guilty, till proven innocent.

The company you refer to, is Red Hat Inc correct?

If it were based outside the US, it could do much more and not have to worry about patents(if the country they were based in was more cooperative), but there again other places like Europe also have patents and are trying to enforce them

http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/en/m/intro/index.html

> I, too, hate the patent system here.  I agree that the it
> needs to be
> torn down.  But to spit in the eye of the government of
> *any* company is
> just stupid.
The government, take a look at the stuff they are doing, they are restricting your freedom and mine, at any time they want they can arrest you, they can search your property without a search warrant, they can do whatever they want to you and not have to answer to anyone.

Do you believe a governement that standed for freedom is doing this?

What do you think of the Patriot Act?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Act

There are many other things that have done away with the freedoms that made this country great.

It is also sad that because the Company's base is here in the U.S, that other countries have to put up with laws that are not of their own.  Of course they have repositories and work on things that Fedora cannot distribute, but that is not the point.  These are workarounds that exist.

I also believe that the "BORDER WALL" is stupid, but I cannot do anything about it?  Can you do something about it?

> > Sun Microsystems encouraged the ZFS port to FreeBSD,
> and yes they
> > placed the patents in place, now if they encouraged
> the port to
> > FreeBSD(since BSDs* are more relaxed than GPL), they
> should protect
> > FreeBSD.  If not, like you say (FreeBSD should get rid
> of it and
> > protect themselves much like Fedora protects itself
> from these cr*ppy
> > patents and lawuits :)
>
> It's easy for you to say that sun *should* do this or
> that.  You gonna
> pony up the bucks if someone like the FreeBSD group gets
> sued, though?
> Cause nothing says that Sun *has* to.  Your wishes and
> suppositions !=
> fact.

Why should I ponny up the bucks?
Sun should do this, it is their product, if they want people to use it, then they should protect its customers or people that freely download it.

> --

Regards,

Antonio