Fedora 9 and VMWare Server

Nataraj incoming-fedora-list at rjl.com
Sun Jul 20 18:59:13 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-07-19 at 23:49 -0700, Michael Eager wrote:
> Christopher A. Williams wrote:

> > <snip...>

> > Aha! There's a hint here (see below).
> >
> >> I don't see vmware-server in the above list.
> >> This is what got built and started on my machine:

> >> How does this compare with your build?
> >
> > ...And here's the other shoe dropping. You are each running different
> > builds of VMware Server!

> >> Same as me, but it runs on a different port number on my machine.   YMMV
> >
> > The difference you are seeing between the two is that one of you is
> > running VMware Server version 1.0.6 while the other one is running the
> > pre-release version of VMware Server 2.0 (currently at RC1 stage).
> >
> > VMware Server 1.0.6 works quite well under F9, but VMware Server 2.0 RC1
> > has many issues, including the ones the OP has noted. I'm not certain
> > how to overcome these yet, but I know that there are several things that
> > seem to conflict with regular F9 components. Apache is just for openers.
> > Other things just plain don't work at all.
> >
> > I have yet to find a solution for getting 2.0RC1 going. Anyone given it
> > a try and had success getting it to work yet?
>
> Yes, I'm running 2.0.   It seems I'm not alone.
> Jeez, I hate the bleeding edge.  :-)
>
> I'll look into what happens when the startup script
> tries to run Web Access, and why it doesn't say [OK]
> or [FAILED].  Maybe there is a clue.
>

> --
> Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
> 1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077

I would check for a selinux violation in /var/log/audit/audit.log
and/or /var/log/messages.  You can temporarily try
"setenforce 0" to test and then update the selinux policy afterwards.
I've seen this problem under CentOS 5.2 with Vmware server 2.  I've also
seen other problems where the hostd and/or the webaccess process would
not run for other reasons.

Nataraj