DWARF 2[/3] the most advanced debugging format?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Jul 20 21:02:07 UTC 2008

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 12:38:25 -0700
Les <hlhowell at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Thank you Michael, For a very well written paper.  I had dug into COFF
> before, but had stumbled upon some of its limitations.  DWARF seems very
> well thought out.  Do you think it will become as widely implemented as
> COFF?
>
> Which debuggers use it effectively?

I'm pretty sure it is already more widely implemented than COFF. It is
certainly the default debug format for gcc/g++ as well as the intel C++
compiler, and many others. GDB uses it, the commercial debugger I work
on NightView (ccur.com) uses it, totalview uses it (another commercial
debugger). It is indeed vastly superior to COFF (which I once had to
try and get to work with mixed results :-).