Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun Jul 20 21:30:06 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> No, I understand that restrictions are not freedom.
>>>
>> Maybe that is because you are looking at it as a developer, and not as
>> an end user. It is the freedom of the end users that is being preserved.
>
> No, that is exactly backwards.  Since the GPL only prohibits
> redistribution, a developer is perfectly free to combine components as
> he wants for his own use.  Or companies that can afford it can hire a
> developer to do this in custom code that is not redistributed.  It's the
> end users that aren't developers and can only afford things distributed
> at mass market prices that lose any chance of benefits.  They just never
> even see it.

Explain the problem. If it is for his/her own use, then he is an end
user. The company is also an end user, and because the source is
available, they can afford to develop custom code. It is just the
developer that wants to take GPL protected code, modify it, and sell
it that faces restrictions. In the cases you list, the GPL does not
make it more or less likely that the code will be released.

Mikkel