How to control mount options on automounted devices ?

Gregory Hosler ghosler at redhat.com
Mon Jul 21 03:08:57 UTC 2008

g wrote:
| Gregory Hosler wrote:
| <snip>
|> How do I set mount parameters for different types of file systems or for
|> that matter devices with specific labels or ids?
|
| answering your questions is extensive, so i suggest;
|
| 1st - 'man fstab' after reading, note 'see also' near end,
|        run 'man' on listed pages and note 'see also' in them.
|
| 2nd - look thru '/usr/share/doc' for related files.
|
| 3rd - open in '/usr/share/doc/HTML' for index.html [or language of
|       choice] fill in search info.
|
| 4th - log on to:
|  http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en&output=linux&restrict=linux
|       fill in search info.
|
| 5th - continue to wait [2 days have pasted already] for someone else
|       who has done above and willing to 'hold your hand' and give you
|       answers.

Thanks, but...

I already know about fstab, and mount options, thank you.

What is NOT clear is how to set the fstab mount options for AUTOMOUNTED devices,
and NONE of your friendly suggestions are relevant in that respect.

Perhaps I should have worded my question more succinctly:

	I have automount enabled for removable media.
	How do I set mount parameters for different types of file systems
	THAT ARE AUTOMATICALLY MOUNTED by the system or for that matter
	devices with specific labels or ids?

Let's say that I have a usb disk with vfat file system on it, and i wish to
mount it with a default group (which fstab supports), but without exec (which
the hal mounter doesn't enable anyway :)

Let's also say that I have another usb disk w/ scripts which i DO want executable.

How to tell the hal mounter that one disk is to be mounted with group id set,
and the other disk is to be mounted with exec set ?

As far as I am aware, I don't think that fstab can solve this problem. :(

best rgds,

- -Greg

- --

Please also check the log file at "/dev/null" for additional information.
~                (from /var/log/Xorg.setup.log)

| Greg Hosler                                   ghosler at redhat.com    |