Killfile [WAS: Re: that old Linux argument]

Anders Karlsson anders at trudheim.co.uk
Tue Jul 22 20:27:31 UTC 2008

* Anders Karlsson <anders at trudheim.co.uk> [20080722 14:50]:
> * Andrew Kelly <akelly at corisweb.org> [20080722 13:12]:

> > > If you are using claws then use
> > >
> > > Create Filter Rule by  From or Subject
> > >
> > > and move them into another folder (eg 'Statler and Waldorf')
> >
> > Or, if you prefer procmail:
> >
> > :0
> > * ^From:.*addressToBeHandled
> > 	/dev/null
>
> Thank you both of you. I'm using offlineimap and mutt, so can't quite
> use either suggestion. Once I have a working solution, I'll post it in
> case useful for others.

Okay. Short background:
 * I run own mailserver, postfix, virtual domains etc.
 * I run Dovecot for IMAP/IMAPS
 * I do this on Fedora 8

To implement the filtering, I read
 * http://www.howtoforge.com/dovecot_mail_server_sieve_virtual_users
 * http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3028
 * http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Postfix

and I used:
 * http://libsieve-php.sourceforge.net/

Essentially, you change Postfix from using maildrop to using dovecot
for delivery, and you install dovecot-sieve. Once set up so that
dovecot reads the .dovecot.sieve file (contact me off list if you want
more detailed notes on how this is set up) you're up and running.

A simple sieve script is:

---
require ["fileinto"];

if header :comparator "i;ascii-casemap" :contains ["Subject"] ["GNU/Linux"]
  {
    discard;
  }

if header :contains ["From"] ["address1 at domain.one", "address2 at domain.two"]
  {
    discard;
  }
---

And thus you implement a kill-file with Postfix, Dovecot and CMU
Sieve. :-)

I'm now off to cook up the recipes I will need.

/Anders