F9 - cups - windows shared printer

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jul 24 13:32:56 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 13:21 +0000, g wrote:
> Andy Eager wrote:
> <snip>
> > I have no idea how this crap got into cups or even why authentication
> > should be necessary to print locally.
> > Anyway, it has nothing to do with the security deny/allow stuff in
> > cupsd.conf
>
> this got me wondering.
>
> craig,
>
> have you give thought to *group*?
>
> because problem is with *authentication*, are you
> 'authenticated' if you add your user name to 'cups group'?
>
> ria, under md 9 or 10, i had problems in printing as a 'user'
> and i believe that doing so enable me to print.
>
> i do recall that i still had to enter 'root' password to make
> any changes to configs.
----
The problem isn't with authentication, the problem is that somehow the
printer configuration inherited an authentication requirement when there
was no desire or action for it to do so.

Mucking in groups to solve this issue doesn't make much sense.

As for Andy...I have not seen it reappear by itself even after printing
but I don't print all that much. Thus I don't see much need in patching
source and recompiling (seems to be overkill).

Craig