that old GNU/Linux argument

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Fri Jul 25 13:23:44 UTC 2008

On Jul 25, 2008, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:

> I assume that glibc had to be re-written to accommodate the Linux
> kernel.

Nah.  Rewritten is a large exaggeration.  Most of GNU libc is
independent of whatever kernel is running under it, and that's how it
should be.  Only the thin system call lower layer has to be
retargeted.  That's what enables GNU libc to offer the same API and,
at times, even the same ABI, while targeting very different kernels.

> Who did that port?? Linus and his team?

Most certainly.  I can't quite picture the GNU project putting
resources into the early development of GNU+Linux to make the
combination usable.  Linux was not perceived as a relevant kernel for
the GNU operating system back then.