that old GNU/Linux argument

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 28 06:38:11 UTC 2008

> >> Nothing is said that has not been said before.
> >>          Terence
> >>          Roman comic dramatist (185 BC - 159 BC)
> >>
> >> --
> >
> > +3 or 4) how many times the thread has been renamed :)
> >
> > All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that
> good men do nothing
>
> this ain't no freakn war.  you ain't gonna get no
> freakn nobel prize.
It is a war.  A war between the FSF who want the GNU part attached to Linux ==> GNU/Linux like Debian uses.  This has been discussed to death and no side wants to give up

If you want to see, this is a continuation from over here

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2006-August/msg00101.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU/Linux_naming_controversy

> and you ain't winning the hearts and minds of anyone.
> shit, if you
> were any more annoying than any of the others i'd
> switch sides for
> spite.

you are free to choose the side you want.  You are free to decide.

You are in agreement with one of the following:

A.  You agree to call the system simply Linux like many have done before
B.  You agree to attach the term GNU/Linux because it will boost the egos of people in the FSF and make RMS get a good nights sleep :)
C.  You plainly do not give a DaMN and are very happy to run this great software no matter what it is called :)
D.  None of the above

> all of you make good poster childs for $$ software.
>  all you
> kids are doing is pollutin the list.  and you don't
> even know it or
> care.
Sure we care.  We want our voices to be be heard and not just accept what they say and move on.  Would you accept if I told you that the sky was green instead of blue and accept it as fact?
> all you done was turn the list inot a private
> soapbox.
What is a soapbox?  I am thinking you mean a soap opera, or somthing along those lines.  Maybe this discussion would be better on Jerry Springer :)

> i stuck around here cause some thought this would die and
It will eventually die, but this thread started from an true question, "Why is Fedora not a free GNU/Linux distro?", and it has sparked lots of flames across the world.  With both camps and a third group remaining neutral not participating and "filtering all this BS out".  They have a passion about the side that they are on and self satisfaction and self accomplishment.

> some said
> ubuntu was just as terrible.  at least ubuntu has its
> sounder list and
> people take crap like this over there.
Crap makes it way everywhere.  It is very hard to get rid off and this silly arguments and others will make their way to the list.
>  karl may be a moron
> but i end
> up feeling sorry for him.
Why feel sorry for anyone.  When you get to be his age, people will feel sorry for you.  You should be proud of who you are and not feel sorry for anyone.