LVM - Install F9 without LVM

edik077 at gmail.com edik077 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 04:22:02 UTC 2008

Bob, choose manual partioning with disk druid. Check the box: "Allow
me to review and make changes" or something like that. The you'll be
able to see a single VolumeGroup that includes the Logical Volumes.
Delete, first the Logical Volumes then the VolumeGroup. After that,
create at minimum the following partitions: /boot, /, /home, and a
swap partition. It depends what you wanna use the box for. If it is a
desktop the previous scheme will work if it is a server use /boot, /,
/tmp, /var /usr and a swap partitions.

  Personally I use LVM on my boxes on a couple of desktops like this scheme:
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

The advantage with this scheme is that I can easily resize my Logical
Volumes when I need it without any disturbance and in an easy way.
Think twice before that advantages/disadvantages of LVM before going
for a classic partiton style. I even use LVM on an itranet I use on my
job for almost five years and it works beautiful. Again, it depends
what are you gonna use the box for. Regards