Creating an operating system with Linux but without GNU

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 15:38:14 UTC 2008

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2008, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If you are going to make this effort, why not just ditch the kernel
>> too and re-implement any missing drivers for the *BSDs or OpenSolaris
>> instead?
>
> Because that person really really wants to call it Linux, and if Linux
> wans't even part of it, that would make even less sense.

The real problem here is that the name is a 'brand' that intentionally
drags an unwanted extreme political connotation along with what should
simply be one of several available unix-like toolsets.  Just as 'free'
is deceptively used to mean restricted software, GNU means those same
restrictions and a vocal political advocacy for them to the detriment of
users who would be better served without the restrictions.  If there
were some other word to give credit and attribution to the authors and
quality of the software minus the extreme political stance, I'm sure no
one would object.  Having only one name to describe it is sort of like
saying you can't be religious unless you are in a crusade or inquisition
(insert your favorite atrocity-in-the-name-of-religion here...).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com