livcecd-iso-to-disk: USB key do not boot (BIOS setup is fine)

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Jul 31 13:37:48 UTC 2008

Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to build a USB bootable key with file 'Fedora-9-i686-Live-KDE.iso'
>
> Command is :
> sudo livecd-iso-to disk Fedora-9-i686-Live-KDE.iso /dev/sdd1
>
> which runs fine, boot loader included, and reports that USB key is
> ready for use ... however the key is not ignored during boot (the sequence
> continue correctly with following drive in the BIOS boot order).
>
> I'm using an Asus eee pc (model 900) which is correctly configured to boot via
> USB key as I tried it with a Debian bootable USB key which boots fine.
> I also tried another .iso, (precisely the EEdora dedicated to Asus eee) but
> got same problem.
>
> ---
> fdisk -l /dev/sdd
>
> Disk /dev/sdd: 1030 MB, 1030750208 bytes
> 32 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1014 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 1984 * 512 = 1015808 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0xb0bcd68e
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sdd1   *           1        1014     1005857    6  FAT16
> ---
>
> which looks correct.
> So opparently the problem come from livecd command whatever final report OK.
> Is there some knwon problem with livecd-iso-to-disk ? I'm using Fedora-9.
> Or can I build a USB key using another as a workaround  ?
>
> Many thanks for attention and any clue.
>
> Bye,
> Bruno

You may have to run "syslinux -s /dev/sdd1". I forget where I found
it, but with the version of syslinux included in F8, and probably
F9, needs this before the USB key is recognized as a boot device.
The latest version is susposed to handle this automatically, but it
has not make it to F8 yet.

Mikkel