Rescue Disk in Fc9 ??

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Jun 1 20:14:24 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 15:22 -0400, William Case wrote:
> I am sitting here watching bittorrent download Fedora-9-x86_64-CDs to
> my "backup" partition of a hard disk.  I intend to install from there
> to my Linux partitions.  When I did it this way for Fedora 8 (DVD),
> there was a rescue disk that I used for installation.  I don't see a
> rescue disk for F9.

There's a small net install ISO that offers a rescue feature.  I've used
it to specially prepare a pre-used drive before starting an
installation.

I haven't booted any other ISOs to see what they offer, but I seem to
recall reading that the DVD or first discs also offer a rescue feature
(e.g. disc one from a multi-disc set).  The following link suggests that
any install disc should offer a rescue mode:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f9/en_US/sn-boot-modes.html#sn-mode-rescue

According to documentation, the DVD disc does *NOT* let you pick an
alternative install location (i.e. you boot from the DVD, you install
from the DVD).  I haven't tested this.
See:  http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f9/en_US/sn-install-diff-source.html

My installation was done thus:  I downloaded the i386 DVD and netinst
ISOs, burnt the netinst ISO, booted it, and ran my install using it with
the downloaded DVD ISO file on an external USB-connected hard drive.  It
took about 34 minutes for it to do the default install plus the
webserving option.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686