Thunderbird

Couple of problems:

1) Deleting any item(s) from the folders do not actually remove
   items from the folders.  It just does not appear in Thurnderbird
   and subsequently moved into "Trash".  But using a different
   IMAP client on another system still shows the item but read.
   Is there a configuration I can set to force a real deletion?

2) I am not able to retrieve the address book from the IMAP
   server - what do I need to do to make this work?

Thanks!
Dan