Thunderbird Contamination

FC 8 , Thunderbird 2.0.0.14

I have a friend that has about 300-400 old email messages laying in his inbox of Thunderbird and when he tries to read New emails they are mixed in with old ones and some of them are blank, it just a big box of sh-t . I removed his emails and AddressBook from Thunderbird, and deleted and reinstalled his AddressBook and old emails back into the new Thunderbird , everything was working for a few hours and then here we go again.
Are there Viruses that affect  strictly  Email  Browsers  like  this ??
This always seems like that he goes through this everytime he gets a large amount of Emails stored in his Inbox.