Are usb headphone generic? ...and swan song.

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 03:40:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 12:52 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> g wrote:
>
> > Neal Becker wrote:
> >> My logitech usb headphone works fine, but I don't know if a generic USB
> >> headphone would work.
> >>
> >> I'm wondering if this will work on linux:
> >> http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/speakers/95dd/
> >
> > think about what ad says;
> >
> > "Simply plug in to your computer USB port, connect to Internet chat
> > software and talk away!"
> >
> > what are you going to do about software? wine? xen?
> >
> I'm using a logitech headset now with twinkle.  I was hoping this would work
> the same.

What version of Fedora are you running?? In Fedora 7 I have this in
modprobe.conf:
alias snd-card-7 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=7

Why it picked 7 instead of 2 I have no clue. But, if Twinkle will allow
you to select the sound source and you still have a modprobe.conf (which
I'm reading on this list that 9 somehow doesn't??) you should see how
it's being handled. Just have it plugged in during boot, instead of
hot-plugging it, I would guess. system-config-soundcard should then show
both your usual sound card as #1 and your USB, as #2 or whatever number
it assigns. I hope this helps.

Me, I'm installing CentOS which will hopefully still have such things as
modprobe.conf in it. Just call me old-fashioned and weary. I love this
bunch here and all the hard work they do. So, I'm not being petulant and
slamming the door on my way out. I just need stable to get the things
done I need done, is all. And installing CentOS seems to be the usual
reply when stable is needed. But, I'll continue to hang here offering
what I can, with whatever I have, whenever I can. Thanx to everyone! Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
https://oar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339