[F8]: Getting MIDI player to work: HOW?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 07:58:37 UTC 2008

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 00:22:02 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

> Native midi play, to me, it one of the Dark Arts solvable using timidity
> instead. It's saved me a ton of grief. Do you have the timidity-patches
> file installed?? That one is about 9 megs of sound fonts and there is
> another one that I can't remember the name of that's a lot bigger. But,
> you gotta have the sound fonts in order for it to tootle anything. I
> hope this helps and someone volunteers the name of the rpm for the huge
> soundfonts. Ah! Found it in my updates directory:
>
> PersonalCopy-Lite-soundfont-4.1-3.fc7.noarch.rpm
>
> Why the heck timidity isn't in the name of this file is kinda strange. A
> grep on "timidity" would never find it. It's almost 15 megs worth! Lotsa
> sound fonts in that one! I hope whoever maintains this package inserts
> "timidity" somewhere in the file name. Ric

Why? The package from personalcopy.com is independent of timidity. It's a
different project. And there's a dependency in place already. At least
in F8:

  $ rpm -qR timidity++|grep Per
  PersonalCopy-Lite-soundfont

To tell users that they need to learn application names like "timidity" is
strange. Fortunately, "yum install \*midi\*" would work here. ;)