ssh connection problems

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 14:44:28 UTC 2008

Danny Yee wrote:
> Since upgrading to Fedora 9, my ssh connections from home are
> regularly freezing.
>
> I'm pretty sure this is not a Fedora/ssh bug but rather some kind of
> problem with my ADSL router and/or connection.  (It doesn't affect
> my box at work.)  But does anyone have any idea what changes from
> openssh 4.7 to 5.0 could be responsible?  I suspect it's going to be
> easier to fix this by tweaking ssh behaviour than by trying to fix
> the ADSL router/modem...
>
> Danny.
>   ----------------------------------------------------
>   http://dannyreviews.com/ - one thousand book reviews
>   http://wanderingdanny.com/ - travelogues + photos
>   http://danny.oz.au/ - information activism, blog
>   ----------------------------------------------------

You sure that router/modem doesn't have a hardware problem? Where I live
we have crappy power services, lots of surges....
If you have a spare or access to one I'd suggest trying that but not all
modems work out of the box because your provider may require one over
another.  I recently had a user with connection problems, intermittent
at first then permanent, the phone company swore up and down the
computer had a hardware problem. I checked it out, all was ok, I tried a
different modem but it didn't work. I talked to the phone company. They
said I had to use their modem and offered me a new modem if I would
agree to an additional year of service, well I said I wasn't authorized
to make deals since it wasn't my account but that that sounded an awful
lot like blackmail. They sent a new modem, at no charge, and no problems
since. If you think the modem is to blame, replacing it is going to be
the next step, if that doesn't fix it then you should start looking for
a software issue.

--
Revenge is for the ignorant