Lost DNS lookup

McGuffey, David C. DAVID.C.MCGUFFEY at saic.com
Thu Jun 12 14:59:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:48:12 +1000 David Timms <dtimms at iinet.net.au>
wrote

> McGuffey, David C. wrote:
> > A few days ago, a workstation in a lab stopped doing DNS lookups to
> > support connectivity to SMTP, POP, and web services.  As I think
back,
> > the behavior started in close proximity in time to a stunnel update.
> # uname -a
> # ifconfig
> # time route
> # ping localhost
> # ping 127.0.0.1
> # ping self ip from ifconfig
> # ping self hostname by name
> # ping another machine on this network.
> # ping next hop router {from route}
> # ping 66.249.89.99   {google}
> # cat /etc/resolv.conf
> # ping nameserver ip from resolv.conf
> # dig www.google.com.au
> # ping www.google.com.au
>
> Guessing you did all that, but maybe dropping the results would help
us
> work out what's up ?

I did some of that, but not all.  Will try to get back to the machine
today and do that.

BTW, I dropped an F8 loaded laptop onto the network, powered it up,
received the dhcp configuration and was able to get out through the
gateway.  So the problem is definitely associated with the F7 load on
the workstation.

Dave McGuffey
Principal Information System Security Engineer // NSA-IEM, NSA-IAM
SAIC, IISBU, Columbia, MD