Fedora 9 /dev/rtc missing

byrdca at gmail.com byrdca at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 00:14:52 UTC 2008

> Does the /dev/rtc device file exist? ('ls -l /dev/rtc'). Does the output
> of 'cat /proc/devices' contain an rtc line?
>
> Also, 'man MAKEDEV'.

First it was my hope that there was a solution other than MAKEDEV or
mknod as I suspect that there is another issue perhaps with udev or
something that would leave me in the same situation after a reboot.
Now onto the questions.

The /dev/rtc does not exists it is however listed as a character
device as you can see in the results from cat /proc/devices (it is
254)

 cat /proc/devices
Character devices:
  1 mem
  4 /dev/vc/0
  4 tty
  4 ttyS
  5 /dev/tty
  5 /dev/console
  5 /dev/ptmx
  7 vcs
 10 misc
 13 input
 14 sound
 21 sg
 29 fb
116 alsa
128 ptm
136 pts
180 usb
189 usb_device
195 nvidia
202 cpu/msr
203 cpu/cpuid
248 firewire
249 usb_endpoint
250 hidraw
251 usbmon
252 bsg
253 pcmcia
254 rtc

Block devices:
  1 ramdisk
  8 sd
  9 md
 11 sr
 65 sd
 66 sd
 67 sd
 68 sd
 69 sd
 70 sd
 71 sd
128 sd
129 sd
130 sd
131 sd
132 sd
133 sd
134 sd
135 sd
253 device-mapper
254 mdp

Another mystery is that when I run timeconfig it shows that "System
uses UTC" is unchecked, though system-config-date shows the option as
checked/enabled.