Re: tr problem

On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 19:24 +1000, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> A line _should_ be terminated by a single character. What that character
> is is a somewhat arbitrary choice, given that the ASCII table doesn't
> have an end-of-line (EOL) character, just CR and LF and ASCII was what
> was there the play with. UNIX went with NL, OS/9 and Macs went with CR,
> and DOS went with "I'm too dumb to translate text delimiters into
> printer control actions", thus its CR/NL overspeak.

Considering that the display of text files is still done over terminals
where the ability to return to the beginning of the same line and
overwrite, is a useful feature, there's value in the end of line having
separate line feed and return characters.  Not all display of text is of
static text.

--
[tim localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686