CD/DVD writer

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun Jun 15 22:52:36 UTC 2008

Chris Carlson wrote:
> I'm using Fedora 9 on a "AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor
> BE-2350".  The system (an eMachines computer) came with a CD/DVD
> read/write drive (Optiarc  Model: DVD RW AD-7200A  Rev: 1.W1).  When I
> load a blank DVD-R in the drive, an icon appears that tells me I've got
> a blank DVD in the drive.  I double-click the icon, and CD/DVD Creator
> pops up.  I drag/drop files into the window and then tell it to "Write
> to Disc".  It thinks for a while, then pops up a little window with the
> very clear and informative message, "Error!"  I can find no information
> on what the error is or what I can do about it.

You are going through multiple layers of voodoo here to put a GUI
interface on burning, which also seems to hide what's really going on.
If you want to actually run the commands and see what error messages
they produce, you will probably see the problem.

To create an ISO image suitable for burning:
   mkisofs -o /tmp/test.iso -RU some_one_GB_directory
   growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=/tmp/test.iso

The first command should create an image ready to burn, and the second
should do the burn.

Report back.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>