USB device with errors does not auto-mount (in gnome)

Gérard Milmeister gemi at bluewin.ch
Mon Jun 16 16:36:58 UTC 2008

My Sony MP3 mplayer generates errors of the type:

attempt to access beyond end of device
Jun 16 18:33:47 scriabin kernel: sdh: rw=0, want=4294967044,
limit=30949376
Jun 16 18:33:47 scriabin kernel: printk: 17 messages suppressed.
Jun 16 18:33:47 scriabin kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sdh1,
logical block 1073741760

when plugged in. The result is that it is not automounted on F9.
However this worked on F7, although there errors were the same.
I can still manually mount the device as root. Is there a way
to tell (hal, gnome-volume-manager, ... whatever) to ignore the
warnings? I'd rather play with the partition and filesystem, since
I already bricked a device doing this.

gemi