Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10?

Mike Bird mgb-fedora at yosemite.net
Mon Jun 16 17:19:59 UTC 2008

On Mon June 16 2008 08:16:05 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Mike Bird <mgb-fedora <at> yosemite.net> writes:
> > Kubuntu shipped KDE 3.5 in Hardy which will be supported until October
> > 2009.
>
> Careful there, KDE is explicitly excluded from LTS in Hardy (but the EOL
> date you quote is probably correct, the regular support time is 1.5 years).
> Their rationale: KDE 3 is too old for LTS, KDE 4 is too new. And they're
> planning to move to KDE 4 only in Intrepid (i.e. Hardy+1, about the time
> F10 releases).

Hardy already includes a "Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 4 Remix" spin for early adopters,
while the original Kubuntu Hardy spin provides KDE 3.5 with support out to
October 2009.

> > Debian will ship KDE 3.5 in Lenny.  That means at least three years of
> > Debian support for KDE 3.5.
>
> That's pretty much the ONLY option if you want to keep 3.5 that long, and
> be aware that Debian does NOT fix any bugs in stable, with the exception of
> security bugs and sometimes some big showstoppers (but even that isn't
> guaranteed, only security fixes are). Basically, you get things as they are
> at the moment of the Lenny release, with only security fixes.

There are also upgrades and bug fixes via Backports and point releases.
There could be a problem with newer hardware if kernels aren't backported
promptly.  Other than that, the reduced churn is a plus.

So with most major distros we get to choose to migrate to KDE 4.x when
it's usable for our clients rather than Red Hat pushing KDE 4.x down
our throats before it's cooked.  Migration will be an annoyance but
software freedom is wonderful.

--Mike Bird