OT: need javascript/DOM help

Bassel Safadi bassel.safadi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 22:08:37 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 12:09 AM, Mike Wright <mike.wright at mailinator.com>
wrote:

> Hi Listizens,
>
> I'm working on a project but am absolutely stymied and need outside help.
>  Both konqueror and firefox exhibit the same behavior so I don't think this
> is a browser bug.
>
> I've checked the xhtml1-strict.dtd and it says that anchor tags support the
> core attributes which include "id"; however, the following html doesn't
> produce the expected results.
>
> Are there any javascript/DOM gurus out there who can tell me why the html
>
> Sorry for the OT/wrong forum post, but I find the collective knowledge of
> the fedora users to be one of the best out there... and the most helpful.
>
> TIA,
> Mike Wright :m)
>
> Below is the html being tested.
>
> =====================
>
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
> <!DOCTYPE html
>    PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
>    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

> <a   id='a'></a>
>
> <script type='text/javascript'><!--//
>  var d = document;
>  var m = d.getElementById('m');
>  var a = d.getElementById('a');
>  var p = d.getElementById('p');
>  var v = d.getElementById('v');
>  var b = '<br />';
>  m.innerHTML = a+b+p+b+v+b;
> //--></script>

will it's simple ,
what do you want to get from the getElementById('')?
I mean if you're trying to know what kind of element is it, just to process
it in some how, then you will not get a result from just using the
getElemntByid thing for example:

d.getElementById('p');
will return in Firefox: [object HTMLParagraphElement]
in IE Mac: [object P]

why don't you just specify what you want to get back from it let's say you
may use:

 var a = d.getElementById('a').innerText;
by the way adding href="" to the anchor tag will let  var a =
d.getElementById('a'); return the href it self, if you still need an output
that looks like:
[object HTMLanchorElement]

tell me and will find a work around for you...