F8 All multi media is TRIPLE SPEED!

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 09:09:12 UTC 2008

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:15:06 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:

> Running Fedora 8 32 bit on an Intel 1.6ghz. (This box has run Fedora
> since FC Test 3.) (Latest yum updates.)
> About 2 weeks ago, my sound/video system started playing back
> everything at double-triple speed!
> Actually video seems like double speed but audio is like 3-4x!
> Over the time in years from FC3, 4, 5, 6, 8, there have been various
> multimedia engines installed on this box.
> I have no idea where to start!
> Any idea please?

Try lower-level tools like "aplay" to play a test WAV file.

  $ rpm -qf $(which aplay)
  alsa-utils-1.0.16-3.fc8

Disable pulseaudio if it is running (the process has the same name), then
try again. If everything is still 3-4x faster, boot into the previous
kernel version. That way you may be able to find out that something
in ALSA in the kernel causes these problems.

--
Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) - Linux 2.6.23.15-137.fc8
loadavg: 1.78 1.28 1.19