Can't read/mount SD flash memory card in builtin reader.

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 17:18:42 UTC 2008

I am having trouble getting Fedora 9 (x86_64 live cd) to read my SD
card using a built-in Ricoh MMC reader on an HP 8510 laptop (Core 2
Duo). I get mmcblk0 and mmcblk0p1 in /dev but any attempt to read the
card fails. I see an icon in Nautilus but after opening it and a brief
pause I get an error "Can't read superblock". Also, any attempt to
inspect the device in parted or fdisk also fail. They both complain
about lables but I'm not sure if they are talking about filesystem
labels or volume lables. I can't see why the latter would cause an
issue. I tried the mklabel command in parted setting it to msdos but
it couldn't complete... I'm in Windows XP right now and it's reading
it fine.

Along those lines, is it possible to get the UUID of a disk from windows?

Richard