Fedora 9 /dev/rtc missing

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Jun 26 14:52:34 UTC 2008

byrdca at gmail.com wrote:
>> It sounds as if your hardware clock is simply not usable by the kernel
>> drivers. However, if you boot and get the system starting at nearly the
>> right time, then it's likely that your hardware is being read. In
>> /var/log/messages, when you boot do the messages have the right time? If so
>> some source of the clock was found.
>>
>> --
>> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
>>  "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
>> the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot
>>
>> --
>>

> Well it seems like the time is incorrect in /var/log/messages as well.
>  Is there a particular mod I should be looking for in the results of
> an lsmod?  Is there a particular module that I can insert to get it
> working?

I would expect support for the CMOS clock to be loaded automatically,
and I can't guess why you would need anything else. There might be a
boot option, but it certainly doesn't come to mind.

Looking at several working systems, I am trying to guess which modules
might be related. There is virtually nothing in common between a Q6600
and Celeron system with SIS chipset, so I doubt it's a module.

> I know that this machine had a working clock at some point when I was
> on Fedora 8, I can not recall with absolute certainty if this issue
> appeared in 8 or only after I installed 9.

Here are some ideas in order of how likely I think they are:
1 - find out how to tell XP to use UCT on the hardware clock and reset
it to UTC. This will also fix problems the next time our bonehead
congress proves it doesn't understand time and resets DST.

2 - in GNOME go to system->administration->date&time, and on the "time
zone" tab check that you have the TZ set and the hardware clock checked
(or not, if you disregard my 1st idea).

3 - use the acpi= boot options, you can look up which ones seem possible
as solutions. It could be an ACPI problem, there were a lot of changes
in that area with FC9 kernels. Actually with recent kernels, I think
they're in FC8 current as well.

4 - disable apic from the boot options line. Last resort, I have no idea
why this might help, but I saw it in a posting elsewhere.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>