Double checking grub-install ??

TNWestTex mcforum at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 26 16:29:34 UTC 2008

William Case wrote:

> Thanks for replying Tim;
>
> On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 16:05 +0930, Tim wrote:
>
> I was trying to avoid wasting peoples time with a long description.
>
> When I first boot I get the Fedora grub splash screen/menu twice --
> besides that everything else boots normally.
>
> About four weeks ago my commercial boot loader was blown away by the
> WindowsXP sp3 download and install.  Fine and good: that didn't surprise
> me.
>
> I just installed grub.  During a first attempt at a grub install I had
> an ooops! So I just re-installed grub and everything seemed fine.
> Because it was an oops and not a confusion, I didn't pay attention to
> the mistake, so now a month later I have forgotten exactly what I did
> wrong.  Besides I thought I had recovered.
>
> About a week ago (I don't re-boot very often), I noticed the Fedora
> grub splash screen appear for 1/2 second or less, then go blank and
> pause for a second or two.  Then a new splash screen appeared and
> everything progressed fine from there.  This occurs definitely during
> the grub stage of bootup.
>
> I didn't do anything then because I was going to fresh install Fedora 9
> with a new grub on the weekend.  Which I have done.  But the double
> splash screen still appears.

The double splash screen is normal with chaining multiple grub
installations.  The
short splashscreen is normal if the timeout parameter is not set or is set
to a small value.
Could you have a /boot on /dev/sda that is chaining to one on /dev/sdb?
With
a stanza in grub.conf like

title Other
	rootnoverify (hd1)
	chainloader +1

or
title Other
	rootnoverify (hd1,0)
	chainloader +1

It is a clean way of handling multiple linux operating systems and letting
each handle its own
boot and grub configuration.

Robert McBroom