F9/KDE4: Can't access screen resolution changes after software install

Based upon a mention in Linux Journal, I installed the Penumbra: Black Plague demo yesterday on my laptop:

Acer TravelMate 4202WLMi
Inten Centrino Duo 1.66GHz
1 GB RAM
Intel GMA950, 1280x800
Fedora 9 x86
(hpl.log attached)
KDE4

At the end of the installation, there were no errors, though it seemed to restart X on my machine. After logging in again, I tried starting the demo just to see that it was working. When I exited it, I found that my desktop had been changed to 800x600. I had hoped that restarting X would reset my settings, but that didn't help. Nor did changing the settings in the game itself.

I am unable to reconfigure my desktop at all. While the correct (1280x800) resolution is visible as a selection in System Settings, the Apply/Save button is not enabled. This appears to be a specific problem in KDE; I can restart X and use another environment (Gnome) at the correct resolution. Likewise ICEwm; in ICEwm I can even start and run the game without issue and return to my proper desktop size.

What is particularly odd is that when logging in via KDE it *starts up* in the correct resolution, but eventually changes. What happened to my machine, and how do I get it back? It's probably just a configuration change in one file, but I don't know which one.

Thanks in advance,
 -Don