problem with FC9 login screen

Gerhard Magnus magnus at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Jun 26 20:48:11 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 07:33 -0700, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> My login screen for Fedora 9 has only suspend, restart and shutdown
> buttons, plus the list of users. There's what looks like a panel bar at
> the bottom of the screen with nothing in it. I can login normally to the
> gnome desktop.
>
> How do I change the session to KDE from the login screen? (I specified
> including KDE during the installation.)

In case someone else comes across this nonsense, definitely in the "not
a bug but a feature!" category...

To access KDE from the login menu I had to click on "Other" in the users
menu. Then the blank panel bar at the bottom of the screen fills up with
such familiar options as "language" and "sessions". Why should these be
hidden in this way?

I'm still trying to find the file where the login screen parameters are
stored:
> Is there a widget or file where I can specify a default user (the one
> highlighted on the login screen menu)?

Jerry