What is the matter with fedora 9?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jun 26 21:00:50 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 14:34 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > First of all, Tom didn't qualify his comments on NetworkManager which is
> > very useful in some instances and apparently is installed as the default
> > networking daemon if you install from Live CD. His suggestion to turn it
> > off:
> > - lacked any suggestion that you need to turn on the regular 'network'
> > daemon in its place instead
>
> Did you read the post you copied? He suggested that you turn
> NetworkMangler off, and the traditional (functional) network daemon in
> the very next line! It's the line between the disabling of NM and the
> line that says "reboot" if you are having problems finding it.
----
I missed that - thanks - appreciate the sarcasm too.
----
> > - lacked any consideration of wireless or dhcpcd client needs
>
> Which work as they did in FC8 (and all the way back to FC4).
----
actually, NM is pretty much the same in F8/F9. Clearly someone with a
laptop would rather use NM.

I think the issue you see is users who install from Live CD because the
installer will active Network Manager by default based on assumptions
made by the installer.
----
> > With respect your your efforts making Fedora 9 work to your
> > expectations, you've sort of proven your own problems to yourself but
> > contributed nothing to fixing any issues that may exist.
>
> He provided a three line fix for the NM problem, while I knew that
> already I'm sure some people didn't.
----
The thing I love about flat earth folks who disparage things like
NetworkManager and PulseAudio is that they are consistently blind to the
fact that there are circumstances where these are valuable tools.

Craig