MPEG video under Fedora 9

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Jun 28 17:23:34 UTC 2008

Could some kind soul state as briefly and clearly as possible
what is required to play a .mpg video file under Fedora 9/KDE/Firefox?

On my laptop I see from System Settings=>Advanced=>File Associations
that I am given a choice for mpeg video files of
        GXine Video Player
        Gnome MPlayer
        MPlayer
        Movie Player
        Kaffeine

As a sample .mpg file I've taken
/usr/share/apps/k3b/extra/k3bphotosvcd.mpg .

[Maybe that is a bad example;
if so could some guru suggest a better one?
One incidental difficulty in solving multimedia problems
under Fedora is that supposed solutions rarely give
a sample file on which the solution can be tested.
Perhaps a selection of multimedia files for testing would be useful.
Is there such a thing anywhere?]

I'm not clear also if Firefox has its own, different,
set of File Associations?
Or will it read those set by Fedora/KDE?

I understand that the Fedora developers have a religious objection
to telling us how to play ungodly video files,
or even telling us where we can get this information.

But it would be nice if a standard godless informant
could be agreed on ...