Re: png2txt -

fred smith wrote:
On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 12:05:22PM -0400, Bob Goodwin USA wrote:
Craig White wrote:
On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 11:53 -0400, Bob Goodwin USA wrote:
Is there an F8 application that will convert a .png copy of a text list to a text file?
----
png is a picture file and there is no text.

If you want OCR (optical character recognition - software that scans a
picture for recognizable text and saves the recognized text to a file),
I would suggest tesseract.

Craig

Thanks, I will look at that.

I believe that Tesseract only understands TIF files, so you will need
to convert the png before you can OCR them.

Yes, I discovered that requirement but now I am stumped by -

   The command line is:
   tesseract <image.tif> <output> [-l langid]

I thought "-l enUS" might work but no go there.

There's no man page, only a README and that doesn't tell me about the langid other than it wants it. Without it I get very strange looking text.

Bob